Biodiversity in Belize
Biological Diversity in Belize
Site Search

What's New!

Permit issues

For most biological research and collecting, a research/collecting permit is required. This permit applies to all organisms. If the organism is CITES listed, an additional CITES permit is needed. In Belize there are two main permitting agencies:

- Conservation Division of the Forest Department. Dealing with ALL terrestrial biodiversity issues. Contact the Conservation Division at: Tel: (501) 822-1524/2079. 

Download a copy of the permit application form: (Adobe Acrobat Document)

- Fisheries Department. Mostly deals with commercial marine fisheries. But essentially responsible for all aquatic biodiversity issues. Even those inland (although this is often a source of confusion). Contact the Fisheries Department at:, tel. (501) 224-4552, 223-2623. Fax (501) 223-2983.

In addition, the Belize Agricultural Health Authority (BAHA) deals with all imports and exports of organic materials. For exporting organic materials (including materials collected under a Conservation Division and/or Fisheries Department License) a Phytosanitary permit may be required. Contact:, tel. (501)-822-0197, Fax (501) 822-0271.




About BelizeAdministrative | Publications | Species List | Projects | HOME


Send mail to with questions or comments about this website.
Copyright 2002 and Belize Explorer Group Design Concepts
Last modified: March 25, 2004